Please mention The Good Vet and Pet Guide when contacting this business - Thankyou!
Fitzpatrick Referral Oncology and Soft Tissue Service - Guildford
Veterinary Referral Oncology & Soft Tissue Service - Guildford
The new Fitzpatrick Referral Oncology and Soft Tissue Service has begun as it means to go on by attracting two of the most talented and internationally recognised specialists in these disciplines.
We are immensely proud to have Professor Nick Bacon and Dr Laurent Findji join the team. As well as Professor Nick Bacon and Dr Laurent Findji, we also have Professor Stuart Carmichael heading the team as Managing Director and Dr Kelvin Kow as our Senior Consultant in Medical Oncology.
This new venture is one of the first steps in establishing a world class service that our referring vets, our clients and ultimately the animals deserve. The service is designed to advance the diagnosis and therapy of veterinary oncology and soft tissue surgery through innovation and collaboration and to offer a fully integrated approach to individual animal care.
Our team of oncology and soft tissue surgeons have embraced the challenge of every patient who has been referred so far.
CLINICAL DIRECTOR OF ONCOLOGY AND SOFT TISSUE
The new state of the art Fitzpatrick Referrals animal hospital based in Guildford is the first of its kind in Europe and aims to change the way cancer is treated in companion animals
Whilst this building will impress and contain the latest equipment, it is the team of people inside that makes it truly outstanding.
We have brought together world class medical and surgical oncologists with extensive experience in advanced radiation procedures, and the best nursing teams in order to gain a better understanding of animal cancer and to use that knowledge to deliver the very best treatment to animals.
We aim to deliver all of the options to all of the animals all of the time, and we aim to work with our human colleagues to better inform the treatment of cancer for everyone.
With Fitzpatrick Referrals Orthopaedics and Neurology, we will also be the only centre in Europe offering custom-designed 3D-printed limb and joint salvage prostheses.
• Highly specialised equipment: The hospital has a great deal of highly specialised equipment much of which is found in the latest, most up-to-date human surgical hospitals. The hospital is also equipped with the most animal friendly spaces to ensure you and your animal companion are comforted and reassured during challenging and difficult times.
• World Class Team: We have brought together world class medical and surgical oncologists with extensive experience in advanced procedures in order to gain a better understanding of animal cancer and to use that knowledge to deliver the very best treatment to every animal entrusted to our care.
• Animal friendly Reception: Every aspect of the building has been designed with the safety and well-being of the patient in mind. From the moment you walk through the door, you are welcomed in a way that is unique. There are two separate waiting rooms, for dogs and for cats, with partitioned areas so patients cannot see each other so that stress is reduced to an absolute minimum.
• Built to meet the International Cat Care’s Cat Friendly Practice Gold Standard Award – Every care has been taken to adhere to this prestigious standard for cat care in the hospital, from the moment they arrive, to when they go home.
• Chemotherapy suite – We have the latest equipment to ensure safety of user and patient, accuracy of dosing and comfort of the patient. This includes a Bio Pur Air biological safety cabinet and Equashield administration devices.
• Theatres – Four fully functioning and operational, state-of-the-art surgical theatre. These have been built to the highest standard with silver-impregnated, anti-bacterial wall coverings, and colour-specific LED surgical lights allowing us to operate in an infection-free environment, comfortably and with all the necessary equipment to reduce unnecessary surgical time.
• Imaging: The hospital is equipped with digital x-ray, ultrasound and a state-of-the-art Toshiba 160 slice CT Scanner which is unique in the UK. This ensures that the anatomic images necessary for the accurate diagnosis and treatment is made quickly and effectively. We also have a high-end C-arm for fluoroscopic advanced imaging and image-guided intervention procedures.
• Infection Control: The practice has taken all necessary precautions to minimise infection. A state-of-the-art silver-impregnated antibacterial wall covering (Trovex Activilong) has been employed in key areas of the hospital including the wards and theatres, and we have invested in a battery of equipment to ensure sterility, including an ultrasonic cleaner, a dedicated instrument disinfection unit and both gas and steam sterilisers.
• Dedicated exercise area: Ensuring that the wards are filled with natural light, dogs have regular access to green outdoor space in order to promote their emotional well-being as well as their physical improvement.
• Bespoke purpose built kennels and cat wards: The patient wards are made to the highest standards and adhere to the no-bars principle of Fitzpatrick Referrals. The kennels were designed based on experience and detailed consultation with specialist nurses. The cat ward adheres to the highest externally verified standard: the ICC (International Cat Care) Gold Standard and has been specifically orientated so that cats have total privacy therefore reducing anxiety and stress.